Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Water Coloring Techniques

Hi everyone ~
My incredibly fun, and uber talented blog friend, Darnell has reached 500 followers and is celebrating with a NBUS challenge. NBUS is her acronym for 'Never Before Used Schtuff’! If you have never visited Darnell’s Blog, I hope you’ll take a moment to stop in to her ‘Playhouse’ and say hello and/or play along in her challenge! Darnell’s unique writing skills, gorgeous card designs and amazing sense of humor are only a few reasons she is loved by so many! So, of course, I couldn’t wait to join in the challenge, and I created 2 cards.

About two weeks ago, I bought the Penny Black Botanical Notes stamp after seeing all of the gorgeous creations by my sweet friend, Virginia Lu...take a look at all the beautiful cards she has created using this stamp Here. Talk about knowing how to 'Stretch your stamps’! Creative Genius...seriously!!! Here is my card:



I stamped the image in black archival ink and heat set it with clear embossing powder on to Tim Holtz water color cardstock. Then, I colored in the details using the technique 'Water coloring stamped images' taught by Jean Manis during the most recent Online Card Class Water Color for Card Makers, added a few gems and some WOS clear glitter to the butterfly...and that was it!

                              -----------------------------------------------------------------------

My 2nd card is also NBUS, and includes a water coloring technique that I learned in the same Online Card Class, but this time a ‘Soft Water Color Background’ taught by Agnieszka Malyscek (aka: Aga) Thankfully, the new Tim Holtz water color cardstock can withstand a LOT of water...lol! I also used my new ‘Cityscape’ die cut from Mama Elephant for this card...so fun!




So, that’s it for me today ~ Thanks so much for stopping by!




Barb

Supplies:
Hey, Beautiful:
Stamps: Penny Black - Botanical Notes; Simon Says Stamp/Mama Elephant - Summer Garden (sentiment)
Ink: Ranger Archival - Jet Black
Cardstock: Tim Holtz - Water Color Cardstock; Papertrey Ink - True Black
Gems: Doodlebug  Mini Pearls - Cupcake
Misc: Wink of Stella - Clear Glitter Brush

Here You Are:
Stamps: Mama Elephant - Central Park
Ink: Versafine - Onyx Black; Tim Holtz Distress Inks
Cardstock: Tim Holtz - Water Color Cardstock; Papertrey Ink - True Black, Lemon Tart; Michaels - Glitter Cardstock
Dies: Mama Elephant - Cityscape, Confetti
Misc: Mama Elephant - Confetti (stars)

24 comments:

Hannelie said...

2 beautiful cards today Barb! Your coloring looks so soft and beautiful on the first card, and a great background for your skyline card!

Sarah G said...

Your colouring on the first card is fabulous, Barb - yet another look for this stamp after all of the variations that Virginia has demonstrated! Love the cityscape too. Playing along with Darnell's fab NBUS challenge is on my to do list this week :)

Dawn T said...

Both are gorgeous. I am very tempted to get the Penny Black stamp after seeing it used so well... both here by you and by Virginia. Watercolouring is such fun.

Barb said...

Both cards are beautiful, Barb! Love your gorgeous watercoloring on the Botanical Notes - and that background on your cityscape card looks fabulous!

Virginia L. said...

Thanks for linking up the Botanical Notes collection, Barb! Your coloring is gorgeous! I love how sharp the images are with your coloring! The soft water-coloring with city scape sky is lovely, too! Thanks for sharing!

LauraJane:) said...

Beautiful water-coloring, the Botanical stamp looks GREAT embossed in black.

Loll said...

Two fabulous watercolored cards Barb. Looks like you are still having fun with all the techniques you've learned! :) Loll xx

Kay Miller said...

Ooooh how lovely both of your cards are Barb! The botanical notes is just gorgeous and beautifully colored! I looooove the city scape with your gorgeous watercolored background!! Outstanding work with your NBUS!! :D ((Hugs))

Tracey McNeely said...

Beautiful cards Barb, a botanical beauty and I love your watercoloured background cityscape!

Deepti said...

I love the soft colors against the bold black stamping and cityscape on both the cards :) I agree with u on the Botanical genius by Virginia :)

Jasleen Kaur said...

Wow! What a splendid card. Those flowers instantly caught my attention at Darnell's gallery. I love the sharp outline of stamped images and ofcourse amazing watercolouring. The second card is brilliant too.And I second you on your words for Darnell and Virginia :)

lostinpaper said...

Both your cards are an inspiration! I can see why you 'needed' the PB stamp, it's a stunner and so perfect for this technique!

Rosemary said...

your floral card is just gorgeous, barb... now i really "need" that pb stamp, lol! the city scape is so cool!

JD/ Jill said...

Beautiful floral card...great watercoloring!

Darnell said...

Your work impresses me more and more, Barb! I think your Botanical Notes watercoloring is such a great reflection of Virginia's amazing talents and you did a beautiful sky for your cityscape. You make me long to get back to class, but with the twins coming, I know it will be several days yet. You are one of my watercolor inspiration blogs now!

Thank you so much for your very kind compliments, my friend! I feel quite honored to be in the same post as the exceptionally talented Virginia! Thank you for joining in my NBUS Challenge and spreading the word to your readers! I really appreciate you! Mwah, Darnell

(Since you made two cards, you can upload the second one to Flickr and link it, too, so you have two chances - and another if you link a third.)

OH Babs said...

Barb two great cards. I especially like the Penny Black stamp set and your water color technique.

Darnell said...

P.S. I see it! Thank you!

Cris G. said...

Love that Botanical Notes card, Barb. I've seen it on Virginia's blog, and even after all the amazing cards Virginia created, yours stands out by itself with your beautiful watercoloring.

Irish Cherokee said...

Love the water colored card. The second card is great.

Jacqueline said...

Barb, how lovely this is!!

Cat Craig said...

wonderfully colored cards Barb. So lovely and dreamy.

Karen Hasheck said...

Such a pretty card for the NBUS challenge! I have so much NBUS I just had to enter this challenge too. I am now a follower of your blog and would love it if you visited my blog and became a follower too. http://karenskreativekards.blogspot.com/2014/06/nbus-friendship-challenge-card.html

Anita in France said...

Oh my, such richness and texture on your botanicals card, Barb ... so lovely ... and your cityscape ... cool, so beautifully cool! I'm playing catch up, so you'll be seeing me quite a lot as I enjoy your whole week's creativity! Anita :)

Kim M said...

Both cards are fabulous, Barb! Love the water colour effect! That PB stamp is beautiful. I hear it's your birthday?! Happy birthday! Hope it's a good one! :-)